2. Hard Wired Internal Driver
non-shunted & shunted socket
Hard Wired, power to one end (This type you would use a non- shunted socket for and bypass the existing ballast.) No driver or ballast required, the driver is internal.
The reason T8 LED requires non-shunted sockets is that the LED lamp is single end-powered. With shunted sockets, they work with fluorescent because you can utilize sockets on both ends of the fixture to complete the circuit, but with LED you’d be forced to put live AND neutral into the same side of the same socket, which would not work.
Pros – No need to replace or maintain that ballast
Cons – Safety concerns over someone down the line putting in a fluorescent tube and it malfunctioning or possibly exploding due to the direct line current not being regulated through a ballast. Currently there is a sticker that installers are instructed to be apply at the time of the retrofit to alert that the wiring has been altered.
This method is also labor intensive and requires a licensed electrician and may void the UL classification of the fixtures.
3. Hard Wired External Driver
Hard wired replacement that replaces the existing T8 ballast with an LED driver
Pros – External driver is more efficient in driving the LED tube and can be replaced independently if it fails versus replacing the entire tube and having color consistency issues.
Cons – You have to do more wiring in the installation.
How do plug-and-play T8s stack up against ballast-bypass LED lamps? (LED’s MAGAZINE)
Philips EvoKit LED Retrofit
The ideal LED replacement for linear fluorescent troffers
The Philips EvoKit LED Retrofit is the ideal solution for switching from linear fluorescent lighting to an LED solution. This system is designed to be affordable, long lasting, and produce the quality light typical in Philips LED systems. The EvoKit, at efficacies up to 110 lumens per watt, produces enough light to replace most traditional 2’ x 4’ and 2’x2’ fluorescent troffers, while consuming significantly less energy1. It also comes standard with a dimming driver (Either 0-10 or Mark10) to help customers meet many of the energy and code compliance standards being put into place, such as ASHRAE 90.1. The system is also rated to last more than twice as long as traditional T8 fluorescent lamps, meaning less maintenance and less hassle2.
Peace of mind for customers
The Philips EvoKit LED Retrofit utilizes the same technology inherent in our Fortimo LED Systems, assuring you get a quality system in your ceiling. The kit is rigorously tested with associations such as UL and DLC to guarantee that our photometric performance and lifetime claims meet expectations. This product was created with the customer in mind, knowing full well that easy installation, quality performance and affordability would be top priorities in the development cycle, with the result coming to you in the form of the Philips EvoKit LED Retrofit. The system also comes with a 5 year limited warranty3.
Benefits of the Philips EvoKit LED Retrofit
- Efficacy up to 110 lm/w
- Either 0-10 or Mark10 dimming drivers to help curb energy use and meet new legislative standards when paired with suitable controls solutions
- Simple installation in under 5 minutes
- Multiple sizes, color temperatures and lumen packages available
- Lumen maintenance of 70,000 hours4
- CRI >80
- New fixture look and performance without the need to enter the ceiling
- Compatible in both narrow and standard T-grids
- Suitable for use with Bodine emergency backup BSL310
The Philips EvoKit LED Retrofit is ideal for many applications such as:
Offices (Open office, private office, conference room, corridors)
- Schools (Classrooms, hallways, administrative areas, cafeterias, locker rooms, dormitories)
- Healthcare (Hallways, patient rooms, administrative areas, stairwells, waiting rooms,operating rooms, assisted living facilities)
- Retail (General floor lighting, convenience stores, back offices, discount stores, supermarkets)
- Government (State, Local and Federal office buildings, VA Hospitals, Military housing, bases)
Evokit 2×4 Spec Sheet
Evokit 2×2 Spec Sheet